Monday, March 12, 2007

Drinking With Republicans

A few weekends ago, I headed out to the bastion of Republican Washington night life: a bar in Georgetown called Smith Point. I was warned before entering, to brace myself for an intense anthropological experience: observing the Republican in his/her natural habitat: fully equipped with pearls, cleavage, and extremely manicured hair and nails (for the women) and polo shirts, cords with palm tree logos and crew cuts (for the boys)... Newsweek actually has an excellent article describing the whole scene in great detail (way more articulately than I ever could - it's quite an interesting and succinct read).

I have to admit, that my anthropological observations kept getting interrupted by the cranberry vodkas that kept coming my way...and I found myself rounding up one innocent, self describe redneck, corralling him into a corner, and profusely asking for an explanation on how he could be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time and didn't he see the intense oxymoronic, lack of logic, contradiction in those beliefs...

Oh dear... So I have to say that my first foray into Republican Washington social scene was less than successful on the anthropological study aspect... guess I'll have to go back next week for further observation and research...

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger pumpernickel said...

And Cranberry vodkas :)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger JJ said...

hee hee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home