Thursday, August 31, 2006

Wine -Tasting With the Candidates

I know that I said that I wouldn't post till after Labour Day...but I just came back from this wine-tasting with the candidates shindig at Denis Paradis's vineyard in the Eastern Townships... so I just couldn't resist posting.

A few highlights:

1) All candidates were in attendance, except: M. Kennedy, Mme Bennett, M Volpe, and Mme Martha Hall - Finley... I thought that M. Kennedy's absence was notable; I mean he's supposed to be up there in the final 4 right? And wasn't he spending his summer in Quebec working on his French? It seems to me that there is no better place to be brushing up on your French then wine tasting with Quebecers... but that's just me.

2) I think that the candidate that seemed to be having the most fun was Brison...(Maybe he was just enjoying his role as latest media darling, post scoring points off of Ignatieff's repeated gaffes this week).

3) I've had the opportunity of seeing all the candidates in action over the past 4 months and is it just me or is this a loooonnnngggg campaign? The speeches seem long, everyone seems to be saying the same thing over and over and over again. It's nice that Liberals are all on message: ie. talking about Canadian values, etc and attacking Stephen Harper, while saying that attacking Stephen Harper is not enough of a campaign strategy. But it's tough hearing the same speech, though slightly different renditions and nuances, 6 different times. I know that campaigning is tough and it’s tough to be ON all the time... but I'm starting to find participating at these all candidates events sort of tough on my little grey cells.

4) Dryden. I like Mr. Dryden, he seems like a really nice, noble, honest man. But I keep waiting for him to bring on the hockey metaphors. I want to hear what it was like to be tied in the 3rd period and saving the goal that won the game. I want him to whip out the hockey stars and for them to tell us how Dryden is a leader and a visionary and how his strategy won us game 7...I know that Mr. Dryden wants to tell us about his searing vision for the future of our country, but I think that nothing touches us more than good old anecdotes from Canada's game.

5) Not sure that this counts as a highlight per se, but after that panegyric in the Globe last week, everytime I bumped into Iggy,(looking very Mephistophelian in a full black suit), I couldn't help thinking about him in a more ahem compromising "coming of age" situation, let's just say...It was a little um, weird..."Well," as my one of my fellow wine tasters said: "At least now we know he's human and not, in fact, of the same genus species as Spock..."

6) The wine was great (particularly the red)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home