Saturday, October 14, 2006

Kay, I'll stop soon...

... but for now, I just can't help myself.

Just came across the CBC's indepth section on the leadership race. It has nice little bios and pictures of all the candidates. Now it turns out, (I didn't know this), but it turns out, that Iggy's campaign slogan is: "You want leadership that challenges, that inspires."

Now nothing bugs me more then when people assume to know what I want, in particular, politicians. How does Iggy know what I want? This quote is almost as bad as when Harper used "My Friends" in his campaign speeches last election (and as Scott Feschuk rightly pointed out that "my friends" assumes a lot - i.e. he only refers to people as "his friends" if he feels comfortable enough lending them a pair of socks.)

This campaign slogan of Iggy's just helps to highlight everything that I find annoying about his leadership bid. The implicit arrogance of it all, from returning to Canada after 25 years of absence and within less than a year wanting to be not only to be opposition leader (which is actually what we are looking for) but prime minister of this great land, to wanting to run a party after less that a month as a backbencher, to assuming what qualities I look for in leadership...

I know it's bad manners to hit someone when they are down...but he does have 30% of delegates and a whack of caucus and ex-officio support...but this slogan is the straw that broke this camel's back...

Hmmm - speaking of camels and other exotic animals - I'll end this post on a light note and share another pic of awe-inspiring african wildlife (this picture was taken 20 minutes from my house in Namibia - 3 years ago and not from the recent Kenya trip)... (Oh and if anyone has any pictures of moose to supplement the moose dialogue - I'd be infinitely grateful if you could email to me for posting.)

2 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

Speaking of platforms and such, and since you were away for some of this, I'd like to "tag" you (as is my power to do so as Prog Blog moderator - or 1 of 'em anyhow) to do a "5 things feminism has done for me" list in support of restoring the SWC federal agency's full funding as well as its proper madate (the Tories having taken womens equality out as a "goal" for the SWC to help with)

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Prairie Fire said...

"Now nothing bugs me more then when people assume to know what I want"

Ain't that the truth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home