Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Identity Crisis

Okay, so, the Prime Minister of Canada just introduced a motion saying that Quebecers are a nation within a United Canada...

Right. Okay, so as I've said before. I'm a forth - or come to think of it perhaps fifth-generation-Quebecer. I grew up in Quebec, I went to all levels of schooling in Quebec. I'm bilingual. I speak English with my parents, but I can switch into French without really thinking about it. I did my Master's in political science all in French. I probably felt my Quebec identity most strongly when I was living in France, more so than when I was living in Italy or Namibia or the States (but I think that's primairily because the French actually know what Quebec is and where you can find it on a map).

So now, apparently, the PM thinks that I am a member of a nation inside the United Church of Canada...(oops I meant United Canada). I'm not really sure what that means. Do I get to behave differently? Now that I belong to the Quebecer nation can I get that cool dual nationality thing I've been hangering for? How does this define me? What on fricken earth does this actually really mean?

Anyone???

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harper said QUÉBÉCOIS not Quebec.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Oh. So, anon, does that mean that I'm not in? Oh but wait, I am a Quebecoise, or wait, do I have to speak French with my parents to be Quebecoise? Hmmm what about if I speak French with my sister but not with my parents? Then what?

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's OK, now we have the quebecois nation, first nations, Iggnation, and of course the resulting political damnation...

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm what Quebeckers would call an Anglophone and am not a person of non-European descent; does that entitle me to belong to any other special nations besides Canada?

I want to know why I can't have my own nation with in Canada, in which I can exclude others based on some language and ethnic criteria I set.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home