Friday, March 23, 2007

What to do on Monday?

On Monday, I face a qualm. A dilemma. No matter how I vote, I lose. I'm a federal Liberal, anti seperatist, socially progressive, anglo. What do to? I'm sorry, but Jean (or John) Charest is a Tory. He was the leader of the Tories federally for god sakes. He's a political opportunist. As much as it pains the Liberal anti seperatist in me to say it, there you go. He doesn't get us Quebecers. He just doesn't. It's kind of annoying and painful and sad. We want free (or practically free) post secondary education. We know that we had a crippling debt. We know we have to make tough economic decisions. But we can't help it. It's an emotion knee-jerk reaction. We want our social programmes. We are kind of like the French that way. They have to make v tough decisions to stimulate economic growth. But they can't quite seem to do it. And we're the same. I wish I had a solution, I really wish that I did. But you can't way that you're going to raise post-secondary tuition (even though it's amongst the lowest in the country). You just can't.

Now what are my other options. I obviously can't vote Parti Quebecois. I'm an anglo. 4th generation. I was blammed for losing the last referedum. I was told by the Conservative Fed govt that I am not part of the Quebecois nation. I don't want Quebec to seperate. So no matter what other policies the Parti puts forward, the seperation thing undercuts them all.

As for the ADQ, well, they are socially conservative (though I've had some debates recently with people about how socially conservative they actually are) - but whatever. To sum up: they're weird. Punto.

So there you have it.

Now for the federal implications: If Charest wins - it's a victory for Harper's Conservatives. If Charest wins a minority with the ADQ propping it up - it's a double win for Harper.

If the Parti Quebecois wins - it's potentially a victory for Dion and the federal Liberals- because he gets to show off his fighting the seperatists forte - and remind the country of his unifying the country - clarity acting - strenghts... But a Parti Quebec victory would mean plunging us all into another referendum on seperation... and honestly, I haven't gotten over the trauma and exhaustion of the last one...

So there you have it, if you're a Liberal in Quebec, it's a rough and tumble lose lose situation...

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger pumpernickel said...

JJ:

Charest is a very Blue Liberal, but he is the least bad of the options available. He's not running a bunch of wackos, anti-semites and Rwanda genocide deniers - nor is he intent on dismantling the country. I don't think there is a credible independent in your home riding, so I think you know what you have to do while holding your nose...

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger JJ said...

I know, I know, pumpernickel... it's just that well... we deserve better... I think...

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger ottlib said...

jj:

I feel for you man. I cannot stand Mr. Charest and I never could.

It is times like this that I am glad I never gave into the urge of moving across the Ottawa River to take advantage of the lower prices for houses on the Quebec side.

Good luck and we are rooting for you.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

David Graham in Guelph was feeling the same way (he's formerly from Montreal) and for him its the "lesser of the 3 evils" while at the same time trying to decide whether his option/choice would help Harper or not.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it helps at all, we have the same sort of Tory running under Liberal banners out in B.C.
If they don't want something to get to the people, they just close down the Legislature.
I for one can hardly wait for the next election where I will vote for the family dog rather than cast a vote for some running dog with a flag in it's teeth.
Hope this helps.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger JJ said...

thanks for the comments of support... I felt kind of bad and traitorish writing that post... so it's kind of nice to know that others sympathize...

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone by far. Charest is the best of the worst.
I too will vote Liberal. Not to support Charest but to keep the other 2 freeks out. A minority will be a good thing for this province.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Sinestra said...

I feel your pain. We Anglo Quebecers are routinely left out of the equation. A lot of Fed Libs I know figure it's a no brainer til I explain the two parties in Quebec are nominally the same and that's as far as it goes.

What I did: In the advance polls, I voted for the person, not the party. My MNA is an Anglo Cabinet Minister who happens to also be a federal Liberal and my friend. I figure he deserves my vote. As for the others, it would be a tough call.

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He doesn't get us Quebecers. He just doesn't. It's kind of annoying and painful and sad. We want free (or practically free) post secondary education.

Well, some of us actually wanted him to keep his damn promises from 2003 - cut taxes by $1-bn a year, reduce gov't big time (WTF is the point of Revenue Quebec? Seriously - get rid of it), stop kowtowing to the damn unions, etc. That's why we're pissed off with him - we actually wanted him to do the right thing and get this province on more solid economic footing. Free tuition? Maybe for Alberta. This province can't afford anymore more free lunches...

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger andrewridgeley said...

Stay home.

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

radical centrist: your ideas are radical but not centrist... I would more extreme right

jj: Logically what do you do when none of the majors are worth voting for? broaden your horizons! Vote Quebec Solidaire. I'm actually in France right now so I won't be voting, but from what I know they are a like the old UFP, who were a great choice.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Based on the comments from this post - I decided to call up all of my local candidates and have a bit of a chat. I'm voting for the one that gave me the best answers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home