Friday, July 28, 2006

True North Strong and Free

Am home sweet home for the weekend. So nice to be back in a pleasant summer climate - the sauna-like conditions were killing me (and I've lived in some hot climates) but D.C. seems to foster it's own kind of climate beast.

A couple of things have been on my mind in my first 24hrs back at home.

Here's a little medley:

1) I been obsessing about George Bush being "the Decider", I know this is old news - but as I saw his motorcade driving into the back entrance of the White House, for some reason, the whole "Decider" episode slipped into my mind and I can't stop cracking up about it. Found some great clips on You tube - which I will post.

2) Uplifted state of mind since returning home. Turns out there is a pseudo - scientific explanation. Canada is a Happy place!
We ranked 10th out of 178 countries on the National Happiness Index.

3) Am loving John Ibbitson’s column today in the Globe about why the Reform/Alliance, opps, I meant Conservative party, will be hard pressed to turn their minority into a majority.

4) Predictably so, been thinking a lot about foreign policy implications for domestic politics. Normally the mantra is that the electorate doesn’t vote based on foreign policy. Not sure that that mantra stands given current state of global affairs. Thought what Dryden had to say in the Toronto Star today was interesting…

5) I’ve noticed that there are a lot of “I”s and “me”s in this entry – could it be the impact of quality individualistic American living, slowing creeping through…

That being said, am off to enjoy my quality Canadian beer with quality Canadian company.

2 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of 'The Decider': http://lugosi.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_lugosi_archive.html#115367125321176976
(July 23 post)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Thanks for linking up to your page - I particularly like your National Debt Clock.
Cheers,

JJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home