Thursday, April 26, 2007

If I Was a Tory

I'd be kind of worried... I mean, there we are, going along with our five priorities, our muzzled caucus discipline, and our whole "new" Government slogan... and yet a year and three months later... we still aren't cracking the magic 40% support in the opinion polls (and that year was with leaderless liberals and the three months with the new leader settling in)...

I mean, if I was a Tory, I'd be kind of baffled - here we are doing (more or less) everything we'd said we'd do - and Canadians still don't seem to like us enough anyway... I'd start to worry that the Conserv priorities (of flip flopping, waffling, demi-tours) on Kyoto, setting up a new sponsorship program to key initiaties in Tory ridings, breaking their word on income trust, potentially violating the Geneva Convention, cutting my personal income tax exemption, maybe just maybe weren't actually Canadian priorities...

... Now normally, I don't pay attention to polls - polls smolls - but when looking at the aggregate number over the past year and 3 months of Tory govt... well, if I was a Tory, I'd be starting to feel the heat...

10 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

Funny thing is - we might not have an election now till 2008 because of that. I don't mind, really... gives the Libs a bit more time to organize.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Western Tories are grumbling.
What has become of Harper? Martin was a more Conservative PM!
Any chance he's looking for a job?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Interesting, very interesting, anon...

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

violating the Geneva Convention

Take it easy there, fellah. Be I a Liberal, NDP or Conservative you are accusing Canada of war crimes. That is a pretty big mouthful for someone to say, especially someone down in Washington. Did you as a court of 1 settle it then? Our men are guilty? Please.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

JJ, you're a "fellah" now?

Anonymous, you're obviously someone who doesn't read the site very well or very often. It's a good thing you decided to stay anonymous.

What is apparent is this government has been lying and trying to frantically cover up what has been going on over in Afghanistan. Between that and their reneging on the Kyoto protocol, it is my view that's more then enough reason to bring the government down. I've had it with this bunch.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger JJ said...

there, I put in Potentially violating the geneva conventions... better? when the verdict is finally out - then I'll revise again...

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most interesting is that all this abuse and violation of the Geneva convention was covered in a 2006 government report. Since Harper was not sworn in until Feb of 2006 and given the time it takes for a government report to actually be written and published, it stands to reason that said War Crimes were taking place under a Liberal watch. No? Perhaps Mr. Tribe can correct this.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

I don't need to correct anything, nor did I accuse anyone of warcrimes yet (though if you read the Globe's report(s) ,one would certainly get that impression, but we'll see).

I do know this: this Conservative government has lied and covered things up and has told several different stories within the span of a few days that all contradict one another. I also know that they have come up woefully short on their so-called Green Plan (attempt #2).

That to me is more then enough reason in my mind to bring down the government.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That to me is more then enough reason in my mind to bring down the government.

Well, like Chantal Hebert says, we'll see if the Libs have the Cojones to put Dion's 16.7% leadership support on the block. Until then, all this "bring it on" talk is all too much BS.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger JJ said...

absolutely, bring it on

 

Post a Comment

<< Home