Saturday, November 04, 2006

"Taxation Without Representation"

On November 7th Washingtonian go to the polls to elect their mayor. Now the interesting thing about this is that for the most part, the streets of DC are devoid of campaign posters and signs. The real battle for mayor took place back in the September primaries, when the Democratic candidates for the nomination were busy slugging it out. Early September in DC was high campaign season. My daily walk to work was frequently interrupted by campaigning Fenty supporters, waving signs in rush hour traffic, handing out leaflets, and signing up volunteers. Local television was packed with candidate debates, and papers run daily stories about detailing the race.

Since Andrian Fenty's won the Democratic nomination on September 12th, the streets of DC have been quiet. No active campaigning, little news coverage of the mayoral race. In fact, the only coverage that I have seen is Fenty's preparation for when he takes over as Mayor early next year. Actually, I don't even think that I could tell you the Republican mayoral candidate's name. During the Democratic primaries, the names, logos and platforms of the candidates were front and center in daily Washingtonian life.

The interesting thing is that as Washington is over 80% Democrat, so who ever wins the Democratic primary is pretty much de facto the mayor. There is something about this, however, that rubs me a tad the wrong way. I've living in ridings (aka districts) in Canada where a certain party had an almost guaranteed victory; where for the last 40 years, the electorate has voted consistency and overwhelming for the same party. Regardless of this almost guaranteed victory, election after election, the preordained candidate is still out there with signs and pamphlets, signing up volunteers, and participating in local debates.

Despite the “pretense” of having to campaign in order to win, I don’t like semblances of arrogance in politics. I like politicians working to earn my vote. Whether true or not, it emotionally makes me feel like democracy is alive and well. I know that the American and Canadian electoral system is different and that in some cases, the primaries are where the “real’” campaigning and money and effort lie. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong, and candidates should be strategic in how they spend their time and money...hmmm....maybe it's just the political junkie in me that just can’t get enough of campaigns…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home