Saturday, January 27, 2007

I Have Some Pretty Big Shoes to Fill

My sister’s request to cover for her while she’s in Vietnam comes right after I realized that I could never ever have my own blog. As the younger sibling, I tend to be more introverted, letting my sister open and carry on all kinds of discussion, while I prefer to listen, think for a while, and then, maybe, comment. I am, however, a huge fan and supporter of her blog, and am happy to what I can to keep in running over the next few weeks. I’m honestly pretty excited, if somewhat daunted, am curious as to were the new venture will lead.

I recently took a job in Toronto after a few years in grad school down in the states. I realized that my time in the US is a significant point of reference for me as I come to understand all that is Toronto (I’m a native Montrealer, so never spent much time here). So, contrary to what JJ mentioned, I’ll probably maintain a consistent US focus to the blog. We’ll see. My experience in the states was pretty interesting, though probably not very representative; I was in a mid-sized city in the north-east, enjoying life as a student at an affluent ivy-league school. There is much to be reconciled in that kind of existence, especially with the poverty and racial segregation that resided (literally) on the other side of the tracks from my college campus. I expect that my future posts will draw of my experiences there, as well my time living in India, Italy, and now, Toronto.

My views are undeniably shaped by my work, education, and travels. However, my biggest source of inspiration is my sister and I’ll try my best to maintain some relevant and insightful dialogue on her blog over the 2 weeks. That said, (deep breath), here it goes….

7 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Yay! Piccola-jj!!! Great first post! So happy to see that it is working!

xox Grande JJ

(and btw, what big shoes to fill? your feet are bigger than mine.. :-) and way way way smarter!)

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

Welcome aboard Piccola-JJ. First post and the thing is already promoted with multiple posts to the Prog Blog frontpage.. not bad for a rookie :)

Is there any particular reason you don't think you could run your own blog? You look to have the writing ability (and the opinions from what limited posts I've seen) to do so.

PS - Hi JJ.. you uh.. leaving messages from on an a plane somewhere? :)

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Piccola-jj, terrific!

I have younger sister who may say similar statements to yours, but here's the truth. She's much smarter, far more pratical and finds a perspective that I am infinitely fascinated by. (Her feet are bigger than mine too!)

I look forward to reading your insights.

I'm originally from Montreal too but have lived in Toronto for a very long time. I'll be interested in your views on the two cities, if you care to share, as well as how they stack up against your experience in the US.

All best...great start.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Piccola- JJ said...

Thanks for the nice comments!

Scott, I’m not sure why I don’t think I could run my own blog. I guess I’m just quiet and a bit shy. But by the sounds of it (knb), this could just be a ‘younger-sibling’ phenomenon.

So, we’ll see where this guest-blogging experience takes me- I’m looking forward to it!

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the jungle, we have fun and games...

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

I'm guessing here that "piccola" means 'small' or "little" in English - hence the nickname to refer to you being JJ's "little" sister? Am I close? ;)

As far as being quiet and a bit shy, that's no reason not to start a blog. You might find you're able to express your thoughts better when you're by yourself and writing it out.

I've always been a tad shy and quiet in public or where speaking was involved, but I found I've been pretty good at expressing my opinion when I've been able to sit down, think about what I want to say, and then compose it (with the mandatory on the spot proof-reading/editing).

Who knows.. after the 2 weeks is up, you might you've liked it enough to change your mind on this and you'll find you want to blog stuff.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

To JJ or Piccolo-JJ:

Could you get in touch with me via email? (Its to do with the email exchange I had with JJ about Blogger Sunday evening)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home