Monday, January 29, 2007

What's going on here? Allow me to generalize....

My co-worker casually says to me: “….Americans are lazy. They don’t want to use their brains. They don’t want to think.” She’s a visiting research fellow from India and we were chatting over coffee. She acknowledges that she used to only be critical of the US administration, but now, she’s giving up on all it’s citizens as well, leading her to the above conclusion.

More and more I’ve noticed people making all kinds of generalizations about Americans as individuals. I try and imagine reversing my colleague’s comment to describe India, and honestly, I can’t. As we seem to have a growing sensitivity to avoid cultural stereotyping, we also have an increasing ability to make assumptions about Americans. It’s similar to when my Canadian colleagues discuss the US health-care (non)system. They describe it one-dimensionally, that in the US it’s everyone-for-themselves, it’s some sort of quasi-anarchism for well-being. Certainly I grew up taking trips to the doctor for granted and the lack of universal coverage in the US took me a while to actually wrap my mind around. But once I did, I became aware of the elaborate public health services coordinated by state and national government. While in the US, I worked in a state department of health and, being in the family health office, learned about their sincere efforts to improve the health all children in the state, not only those with money.

Perhaps I’m the one generalizing from comments over coffee and from around the conference room table. Nor am I either criticizing or endorsing some of the typical claims made about Americans. But I can’t think of any other nationality that is subject to such assumptions from outsiders. So what’s going on here?

On an unrelated update about this blog, I’m happy to say that my sister is finally on her way to Vietnam. She faced some truly ridiculous delays- a nightmarish culmination of bad weather, city-wide computer glitches, and impressive airline incompetence. However, on the up-side, she was able to swing a brief stop through Toronto (30 hours late), and I could share with her my apartment and new ‘hood, and she could share with me some very quality Brazilian music!

8 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Liberal in DC. My name is John, and I'm a Democrat in DC "trying" (i.e., waiting) to become a Dem Up North (with my partner). As such, I've been soaking up lots of liblog scuttlebutt for the past few months. I wanted you to know I really enjoy your posts. Saskboy's are pretty good too sometimes but in a different way.

Anyway, I just wanted to reach out since strangely you're a local as well. We live in Logan Circle area of DC. We're heading out of town tomorrow for a week's vacation with my partner and his mom, but maybe we can talk (or email) sometime. I would love to hear more about Canada from a native, especially someone who seems to have an expanded mind and much to share.

Anyway, thought I'd send this your way, though I know it's off topic. Had thought about it a few weeks ago, but let the moment pass.

Take care.

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

John:

I'm not trying to speak for her.. I only am answering this because I happen to be still up at this late hour, but "Liberal In DC" is actually not in DC at the moment - nor is this her blogpost. She's probably still in transit flying towards Vietnam.

You're actually reading Liberal In DC's sister, who is based out of Toronto, doing guest-blogging while JJ is away for a couple of weeks. (She and anyone else here who is native Canadian (like me for example) can still talk Canada with you however).

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments, I’ll send them along to my sister (JJ) who is the actual owner of this blog. She’s away on work at the moment, but returns to DC in a few weeks. In the meantime, I (piccola-jj) am at the helm of this blog as a guest-blogger.

Best of luck- I hope you’ll be heading up here as a Dem Up North soon!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Karen said...

piccola-jj...really interesting post.

I've been having a similar conversation with a friend.

My thoughts are, the lazy comment comes from the more general thought that Americans, (and now some Canadians), seem to reduce all debate to black OR white, right OR wrong.

Critical thought, nuance, seems to be absent in the public discourse. It also seems to come from the top. Bush is obviously not the master of "deep thought", in fact he and his acolytes mock it. It would seem as if the populace, "followed their leader", so to speak.

The same, IMO, is true in Canada. There is a twist here though. Harper is very intelligent, not very exposed to "other" views of the world, (intentionally), but smart. He dumbs himself down though, when in public. He makes every single issue, black or white. "Support the mission, or you don't support the troops."

This is tragic IMO. I didn't grow up with this, but I will say, my niece, who is 20, is very savvy and the critical thought she puts forward, gives me faith.

Brazilian music! Suggestions please.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Karen said...

john, I do hope you come back. Piccola is doing a grat job standing in and I'm sure through this blog, you'll find other Canadians who'd love to help you navigate your way through our crazy politics and other things.

Scott's blog is a another great place to start.

All the best to you and your partner. We're not perfect up here, but we're trying, lol.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

Thanks knb.. you're too kind.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Piccola- JJ said...

Thanks for the analysis, knb. It indeed seems to be, in part, a question reducing complex issues into right/wrong absolutes for ‘the masses’ to consume, as well as an absence critical commentary. Perhaps this is where the blogging–world comes in?

As for Brazilian music, I’ve been enjoying CeU and Gilberto Gil- he has this great acoustic/reggae/salsa sound that’s the perfect antidote to windy walks to work. Check out my sister's post from January 16th!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Hey John,

Thanks for your note! I actually live really close to you, in Adams Morgan.

So, you're thinking about moving to Canada, eh? (couldn't resist adding the eh in for emphasis). Let's keep in touch... you can email me: jasminejohansson@yahoo.com

Hope you had a great vacation!

Cheers,

JJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home