Monday, February 26, 2007

Traffic

Over the past year, I have been lucky enough to hit all 6 continents (don't mean this post to spur debate on how to define a continent... but for simplicity purposes I'm defining the follow 6 as the continents: North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and AUS/NZ).

Now despite all their differences and complexities and cultures, smells, vibes, music, etc, everywhere from Toronto to Baltimore, from Nairobi to Rio, from Hanoi to Paris, from Montreal to Sydney, I’ve had the pleasure of sitting in traffic.

I think that traffic dislike is universal. I have yet to meet someone in my travels that says: “I just love this. Sitting in traffic makes me happy and relaxes me. Let’s just sit back, relax, and enjoy the concrete views and breath in that exhaust.” Waiting in a car in bumper to bumper traffic elicits the same kinds of feelings no matter where you are...the helplessness, the trapped, the boredom, the frustration... all common traffic feelings that binds us...

Anyone who has a solution or ideas on how to deal with this...and something tells me that traffic is a growing problem... could make millions...And though I am a big believer in public transport, I don't think that that is going to necessarily solve the problem... we need something that has evokes the same levels of feelings of independence as driving...yet doesn't leave you driving straight towards a 2 hour bottle neck...oh and the fact that ending traffic jams might be good for the environment and air quality too, well that's an added bonus...

2 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

It's simple, really. Beam me up, Scotty! In the meantime, can flying car technology really be that far away?

P.S. Antarctica.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger JJ said...

You invent it Jeff and that jackpot is yours!

Okay okay Antarctica...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home