Thursday, February 01, 2007

Exodus

Nothing is more frustrating than traveling half way around the globe (and taking 4 days to get there) and not being able to leave your hotel to explore the whole new world that lies outside. Especially difficult is catching glimpses of the exotic, different, beautiful, from your window - but not being able to capture the feelings in their entirety (the smells, the air, the humidity, the noise, the dusty, the bustle). See prairie fire for similar feelings and views from the same hotel windows.

Just when I thought I was about to burst with the need to get outside the hotel - a break presented itself – and off I went in the streets of Hanoi. Not far, but far enough to sample some of the local street food. No menu – I picked by pointing at what the other patrons were eating. Sitting on tiny plastic stools. Getting their shoes polished while eating (slippers are provided for your comfort). I ate a fantastic, filling meal – noodles, soup, spring rolls for a cool $1.50… Wandered through a market – meat of the day (I know this is a terribly stereotypical thing to say – but others confirmed) delectable pieces of dog – fresh (i.e. alive) cat fish swimming in bowls balanced on the ends of long sticks hung over shoulders– stunning flowers (at wonderful prices) and lush odors filled the air… cachews, apples, tofu, fruits galor…

And then, time’s up. Back to the grind. Back to sheltered hotel/expat temporary living… I can’t wait for today’s lunch break! Real, live pictures of Hanoi to follow soon (I hope!)

1 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger Piccola- JJ said...

Excellent! That's definitely how it's done! I'm so glad you've managed to escape from work and the hotel, as well as those $40 US-style dinners. How I wish I was there with you, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home